Thursday, May 3, 2018

Belangkas = Horseshoe Crab




Do you know that I never knew what belangkas was until I was in upper secondary. I studied in Chinese school so the word belangkas (heard it from an idiom) was pretty foreign to me, and mind you, there’s no Google back in those days. So my relatives have to describe to me how a belangkas looks like (nampak sangat budak bandor). Of course thanks to Mark, I finally knew how it looked like and to why we say ‘ke hulur ke hilir macam belangkas’ {yup! my ‘ah=hah!’ moment)… when I knew that I will be going to a Horseshoe Crab Aquaculture or Sedili Kechil Horseshoe Crab Farm And Hatchery / Pusat Ternakan Dan Penetasan Belangkas, I flip with joy.

Since I am ignorant, I thought I should share infos of what I’ve learnt. Enjoy!

  • Horseshoe crab existed 200 million years before dinosaurs even existed, its ancestors can be traced back to 445 million years ago.
  • The life span of an horseshoe crab is up to 20 years.
  • Surprise! Horseshoe crabs are not true crabs, in fact it is actually related to arachnids.
  • Horseshoe crabs live around shallow coastal waters on soft sandy or muddy bottoms.
  • They come onto shore to mate, kid you not.
  • Females are about 20–30% larger than males.
  • The female horseshoe crab digs a hole in the sand and lays her eggs while the male(s) fertilize them.
  • The female can lay between 60,000 and 120,000 eggs in batches of a few thousand at a time.
  • Most interesting part, because of the copper present in hemocyanin, hence their blood is blue. They are practically royal hokkay.

So how was it? Great infos huh!

Pusat Ternakan Dan Penetasan Belangkas
Kampung Sedili Kechil
81900 Kota Tinggi
Johor






Jom, Johor Fam Trip is in collaboration with Johor Tourism and all its sponsors with #GayaTravel as media coordinator.







No comments:







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...