Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Telekom Museum Kuala Lumpur




Built in 1928 to house the Central Battery Manual Telephone Exchange, this building is now home to Muzium Telekom. Located at the intersection of Jalan Gereja and Jalan Raja Chulan, this magnificent building is 82 years of age (1928-2010) and was declared a historic landmark by the National Archives of Malaysia Negara. 




And I told myself die-die also I must visit this place, I remembered vaguely the last time I was here... a couple of old phones and etc. It was so-so if my memory serves me right. Well, obviously, my memory failed me. BIG TIME!


This is what I've imagined - the telephony evolution. Basically just that, full stop. Period. But NOOOOOOO.... It also talks about communication evolution - from Batu Bersurat to Pasu Bersurat (yeah, first time hearing this!), and from morse code to the internet era. Not forgetting the beduk communication, they even showed us the beduk sound for emergency, azan and death. I was half expecting smoke signal will be showcased here too, but nahhhhhh... kenot main api depa they say, dangerous wor.



It also displayed the birth of phone right thru what we are using now – smart phones. Hey! They even have ATUR and satellite phone, have you heard and seen an ATUR phone before? No huh! Go check them out when you are there. While you are there, do check-out the public phones that we used to use – way before everyone owns a mobile phone.




This is something I hold close to my heart – branding. A true blue marketing person that I am, I was excited when I saw the transition from the first logo that Telekom ever had till the one we are using now. And I can only remember Jabatan Telekom logo, the one with the phone in the middle. What I didn’t realized was that it went thru more changes after that as well as before that.


I also learnt that all the telecommunication towers in Malaysia is owned by Telekom Malaysia namely Menara Kuala Lumpur and Menara Alor Setar.




A Telegraph Museum was recently launched in July 2018 in the same building that housed the first Post and Telegraph office in Tanah Melayu back in 1883. It is located at Jalan Stesen in Taiping. I myself have not been there but will definitely be ni my Perak bucket list aside from covering the rest of 33 first Taiping of course. The museum covers submarine cable from the 1870s, a massive stone grinder, old clothing and many items from between the 18th century right to 2012. What makes it even better is that this building is recognized as National Heritage Building. The entrance fee is RM8 for adults and RM5 for children while for non-Malaysia is RM15 per person.





So, if you guys are curious of the communication evolution in Malaysia (so yeah, no smoke signal here), drop by at the Muzium Telekom here in KL, it is near the Plaza Rakyat/China Town (about 10mins walk). You won’t regret it, trust me.


Operating Hours
9am - 5pm (closed on public holiday)

Entrance Fee
Adult - RM6
Kid - RM3





#UnseenKL Media Fam Trip is in collaboration with Tourism Malaysia, #VisitKL and all its sponsors with #GayaTravel Magazine as media coordinator.




No comments:







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...