Thursday, April 21, 2022

Kelantan Colek at Grand Renai (Kayangan-like presentation)


I mean… the word colek depicts how the food experience be like. So it doesn’t come with great surprise when I enquired further, I remember vividly how they describe the food ‘there’s fruit, there’s chicken and there’s sauce’. And my reply was ‘PASEMBOR!?!’ and the respond was…. ‘errr…. Similar but not the same’. A huge questions seems to dance on my head, a ‘ni apa?’ moment struck.

So I decided to check-it out and hopefully I love it lah (what is there not to love, it is food after all kan). Yet again, another surprise (‘surprise’ seems to be this trip middle name huh), instead of taking us to experience the usual-by-the-road-side-eating-while-eating colek, we were treated to a colek ‘kayangan’ which is available during this Ramadan month only.


What is ‘colek kayangan’ you may ask?
- ‘Colek’ basically means ‘to dab’ or in this case ‘to dip’ food in a sauce.
- And ‘kayangan’ literally means abode of the gods, or in local slang means super reach people.
Hence, colek kayangan means ‘dip food meant for the super reach people’, literally.
Can you see where this is heading?

Back to our story, we were brought to the Grand Renai Hotel in Kota Bharu to sample the colek, in a more comfortable environment and with such a hectic schedule, I totally welcome this. And guess what guys, when we were presented with colek… it was so cantik (pretty). Kid you not, this versus the one authentic version – memang banyak beza lah in terms of presentation.



We were presented with 3 tier ie 3 different types of colek, we had the fried stuff – chicken meat, gizzard, cucur and fried spring roll with sauce, rojak buah and fried lekor with sauce. Each food/fruit with its own respective sauce, and I have to admit, the rosak sauce is super sedap. I also absolutely love the mini fried popiah.

Rojak : Sliced fruit and vegetable salad served with a spicy palm sugar sauce.

My take on this.
It is definitely creative and I applaud. It might not be suitable if you want to lepak alfresco dining BUT if you plan to have dinner with client or a chat after a long meeting, then this will fit the bill (the presentation looks professional too). Perhaps if you want to impress you future in-laws where presentation is key then this is the right place. In fact, I would make a special request for this to be my tea-break food for CxO event – it’ll be perfect.


Grand Renai Rooms

I did a room tour while I was here, and I realized that the rooms here is super huge and suitable for family of 3 or 4 as you can add bed and it will still be comfortable. And the twin sharing room’s bed are 2 queen size beds, luxury huh! For those saying it’s an old hotel, I will agree with you but I have to add that it is well maintained and has recently been refurbished.



Grand Renai
Jalan Sultan Yahya Petra
Kota Sri Mutiara
Kota Bharu, Kelantan



The Ihya’ Ramadan Kelantan 2022 Media Fam Trip is organized by Tourism Malaysia Wilayah Timur in partnership with all its sponsors.

No comments:







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...