Monday, May 23, 2011

Pearl Harbor & Submarine



If you’re in Hawaii, you must visit Pearl Harbor right. It’s like the biggest and loudest landmark in Oahu. Well, as mentioned in few entries earlier, we took a 3 days break in Honolulu before proceeding to Isle of Kauai - northern most islands in Hawaii. It was said that this is the island where they film the 1st Jurassic Park and Fantasy Island and of cause the least inhibited island of them all.

Anyway, back to Pearl Harbor, Anna and I decided to drop by in the morning before we catch out noon flight to Kauai. We took the bus (about 1 hour trip or so) and head for Pearl Harbor. I was an interesting feel, and sad too. I mean, I just (purposely) watch Pear Harbor movie before this… and it kinda “bonded” then. When I feet touched the ground of Pearl Harbor, it was unbelievable, this was the area that Japan attacked US. The closest point before they hit mainland.

I can relate a bit of how the Americans felt, reason being Malaysia was conquered by Japan for 3 brutal years. This was the period where there as massacre and all. Let’s not go thru the dark ear shall we.

I have never seen a missile or a submarine before in my life, hence this was extremely exciting. Especially since I love ships and all (but scared of open sea - irony huh!). I must have taken after my late dad, he love the seas and everything about it.

We saw it plenty of times in the movie where they shots scene in the submarine, but have one ever really been in it? It’s SUPER CLAUSTROPHOBIC (even if you’re not one); the toilet is….sigh… small ie SUPER SMALL.

The “canteen”…. it’s like eat & leave kinda thingy.

How can one even cook in this kitchen, and where do they dump the trash or how about the “smoke” from the grilling and frying. You know what I mean…?!?

The bunk beds are kinda expected of, but still… talk about personal space!

Then there was the navigator system etc…

We all when on top deck to take a glimpse of what they get to see & feel when the submarine surface… hemm…

I have the highest respect for the navy officers who embark in long journeys protecting their homeland. I think it’s not easy living in such a tight space day-in and day-out, but they did and the sacrifices they’ve made are something we should respect and honor them.


Don’t you think so?




11 comments:

Sonja said...

I visited Pearl Harbour last year. But I got there too late to go on the actual tour of the submarines. YOu did such a nice thorough tour! It does really seem like an imperfect living situation doesn't it? Thanks for sharing!

George said...

Thanks for taking us along on your tour of the submarine at Pearl Harbor. I've been on a couple of submarines, and they are definitely compact. I have trouble imagining living on one with a hundred other people for months at a time.

Netster23 said...

Wow I want to visit Pearl Harbor and I hope I can meet my beautiful nurse there just like in the movie!

Im not sure I'll be in claustrophobic not until I try it myself hahahah but I think I'll not... I'll be like wow! This is cool!

Great post globetrotter!

lina@happy family said...

The submarine is very well maintained. Thanks for sharing :)

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Salute to the navy officers!!! Great post. tQ

Martina said...

Must be horrible to spend weeks and weeks under water in a submarine like that! But your pix came out lovely ;) Hope your week starts lovely Lily :)

LindyLouMac said...

Certainly somewhere I would be interested in visiting, so this was an informative post. Thanks for your recent visit and comment on News From Italy. I hope you will continue to call by and enjoy Italy virtually until you can plan another trip here.

Linda said...

Marvelous shots!!

Unknown said...

i must be quite emotional if got to set my feet at Pearl Harbour. It was never easy for them right?

Ola said...

a bit too military but, of course, I would love to see it!:)

J_on_tour said...

I wonder when they sign up for this career if the glamour of travel is shattered by having to sleep in a small space like that. It brings a new meaning to rolling in and out of bed !!







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...