Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 2c | Ancient City of Sigiriya & King Coconut (UNESCO)

There are some who still live on the tree but I don't think it's permenent though, probably during harvest season. Reason being, they are trying to avoid their harvested goods from being 'robbed' by wild animals. Since they explain it this way, it kinda make sense to me. I also suspected it was practice during those days thus you can barely find tree houses at this present time. I was lucky to bump into a few if I may say so myself. 

Sri Lanka entries :
Day 1b | Pinnawala - Elephant Orphanage
Day 1c | Sri Lanka Beedi Cigarette & Giritale Sunset
Day 2b | Parakrama Samudra & Ancient City of Polonnaruwa (UNESCO)

Obviously I insisted the guide to stop the car for me to take a few pic, below are the so-called close up.

I should have requested to climb up right? Argh.... gone are the opportunities. 

Our mission was to visit the Ancient City of Sigiriya which happens to be one of the UNESCO site! Before that, the guide insisted to take us to this "special" viewing place where you can take a magnificent pics of Sigiriya.

We saw that there are elephant rides here too. Hemmm.... kinda cool I figure. Don't mind giving it a try.

Aaahhhh.... the 'special' place that he mentioned. I WAS NOT impressed.... AT ALL!!!! I mean, this is it??? Come on I figure.... you have to do better than this to impress me, but begger cannot be chooser right. I obediently took few pictures, but not UNTIL.....

Before that, let me share with you the road leading to this 'special' area that I took this magnificent view. Yes, it's a village area and a village dirt road. No way I would know this place if I were to take public transport.

Very kampung kan kan.... 

Tah dahhhh......
Remember the elephant picture/ride just now, this is the view after 30mins wait. Cool right?!?!?

Just imagine if you were to take the elephant ride and just right then the elephant decide to go for a bath! Sebab panas ler kata kan. Hahhahahha.... wouldn't it be hilarious?!??! I was waiting for the elephant to topple the passanger (Mean me! I know!), then it would make a great and funny picture (EPIC!!!!) but.... sigh... idak ler pulak.

OK! You must be wondering, am I ever going up there or what is there to see on top of this rock/hill/mountain right? I will share accordingly... First we need to drive to the main entrance.

King coconut, very very popular in Sri Lanka. A must try.

On the way, I stopped over this small road side shop to try the famous King Coconut.

King coconut, very very popular in Sri Lanka. A must try.

Basically it is kelapa tua (old coconut), itu aje... Hahhahahah.... the taste is the same as those found in Malaysia. Well, at least that's what I thought. 

Do you know that they eat nangka muda or unripe jackfruit. Which I thought it was kinda weird as back here in Malaysia we eat raw/friend ripe jackfruit.

My transportation during the whole trip. 

 The road condition (this is quite straight and smooth as compared to some I have experienced here).

Hehehhee.... their local modified transportation. 

You guessed it right! Tuk Tuk. 

I was told that the whole journey from the entrance to the top takes 1.5 hours PER WAY and I believe that this is the measurement made by to the locals. Being a non-fit person, I think I will take approximately 2-2.5 hours PER WAY!!!! So, do plan well if you ahve intention to 'walk' up, do not be over ambitious yah.

Don't believe me? Take a look at the pictures below.

NO! I did not climb up with my leg condition, perhaps on my next trip (SOON!!!!).

Top view. Top left corner.

Excerpt from Wikipedia

Sigiriya (Lion's rock, Sinhalese - සීගිරිය) is a large stone and ancient rock fortress and palace ruin in the central Matale District of Sri Lanka, surrounded by the remains of an extensive network of gardens, reservoirs, and other structures. A popular tourist destination, Sigiriya is also renowned for its ancient paintings (frescos), which are reminiscent of the Ajanta Caves of India. It is one of the eight World Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka.
Here's the thing, there is no way for me to get a bird eye view of this hill/rock/mountain, thus I use google to download few of these pictures. Picture credits are being mentioned at the bottom.

It's a weird looking hill/rock/mountain, and it IS tall/high. Trust me!

History (from wikipedia) 

In 477 CE, prince Kashyapa seized the throne from King Dhatusena, following a coup assisted by Migara, the king’s nephew and army commander. Kashyapa, the king’s son by a non-royal consort, usurped the throne from the rightful heir, Moggallana, who fled to South India. Fearing an attack from Moggallana, Kashyapa moved the capital and his residence from the traditional capital of Anuradhapura to the more secure Sigiriya. During King Kashyapa’s reign (477 to 495), Sigiriya was developed into a complex city and fortress. Most of the elaborate constructions on the rock summit and around it, including defensive structures, palaces, and gardens, date back to this period.

Scary right???? 

Dare you, daredevils!

Bottom right corner is the entrance. Belum panjat dah penat boleh?!?! 

So, those interested to 'walk' up, please invite me along to join your trip yah!



Hyperlink/picture credits : UNESCO, Google, Wikipedia, Helltravel.com, photo.lk, sigiriya.org Bill Devan flikr



No comments:







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...