Monday, April 11, 2022

Kelantan Delicacy during Ihya’ Ramadan Kelantan

I have been wanting to write on Kelantan delicacy (desserts in specific) since… forever, and finally my wish is being materialized by Tourism Malaysia Pantai Timur region recently. What made it even more unique is the fact that it was executed during the month of Ramadan, where we did our sahur and iftar together, performed solat suboh at the Muhammadi Mosque, caught solat tarawih at Ma Dataran Stadium Sultan Muhammad IV under the Madinah Ramadan Program 2022 and many more. I was basically ecstatic when I got the itinerary (but I have to admit, it was rather pack though or perhaps I wasn’t as fit as I think I am [pun iyea jugak kot, ahaks]).


For my Kelantan edition, I will be blogging about delicacy, mosque trail, akok making, Wau Museum and of course my favourite – the Islamic Museum (a must visit guys!). So, do stay tune yah.


I am so familiar with akok, butir nangka, tahi itik and nekbat sira whatnot BUT this trip definitely did not prepare me with the spread I was about to see at the Stadium Sultan Muhammad IV Bazaar Ramadan. To perfect this experience of mine, Tyra from KelateKu assisted me (more like translated and explained to me) the name and from what it was made of. I am forever grateful with her kind help in introducing all the beautiful delicacy.

Without further ado, let’s introduce the 1st kuih (dah macam emcee tuk event pulak)…


Pulut Bakar (Grilled Glutinous Rice)

Its round shape made me curious, I suspected it is a pulut but is there any filling inside? Is it sweet filling? Or spicy filling (doubted)? Is the pulut (sticky rice) flavourful? Questions running in my head at the speed of 300 questions per/minute. Ini lah masalah orang curious yang suka bertanya, habis semua dia nak tau (but then again, if tak tau then how to write kan).

So… this one is without filling. Nope, didn’t buy cause fasting month abit leceh for us traveler. Repeat trip please.


Kuba Guling

This is the most unique in my opinion as it is the only one that is not sweet, it tasted abit like kaswi I felt. It is pudding in texture and I was told the dark colour was from ‘air arang tempurung kelapa’. And it said that this delicacy originated from Thailand.


Kuih Ulat Bulu

I almost thought it was kuih lopes but it is not, flour based kuih and the taste is enhance with the grated coconut. Some of this comes with red bean fillings.


Kuih Tepung Tukir

This is similar to kuih ulat bulu but it uses beras pulut hitam (black glutinous rice) instead. Am not so sure how it taste like, probably similar to kuih ulat bulu.


Cendol Kelantan (Kelantan Pandan Jelly Dessert)

I’ve seen this before but forgotten that it is called cendol Kelantan. I was mesmerized by the colour hence I asked. I like the fact that it is being pre-packed for us to DIY it at home. Honestly speaking, I forgot how it tasted like… I need a Kelantan Food Trail please! Siapa nak ikut?!?


Kerabu Kaki Ayam (Chicken Feed Salad)

I have to tell you guys that I ab-so-lute-ly love kerabu but not kaki ayam. I was staring at the kerabu for awhile after I asked the makcik. Do you think she allows me to but this kerabu minus the chicken feed? Rasa-rasa kena marah dak? Tapi serious Nampak sedap kay.


Kerabu Rumpai (Seaweed Salad with Tumis Sause/Paste)

OK! OK! OK!... I fell in love with the tumis. I have no idea what is the magical tumis sauce/paste is but I suka suka suka hokkay. Its berlemak, rich and flavourful, not spicy at all. I suspected it is the same make as kerisik (pan-toasted coconut paste), Ya Allah… sumpah sedap – makan ngan nasi panas-panas coupled with ayam percik (Kelantan roasted spiced chicken) or with ayam goreng berempah (crispy spiced fried chicken), tasted even better if you eat with nasi kerabu. PERFECT.


Nasi Tumpang (Layered rice dishes wrapped in a cone shape with banana leaf)

Till this day, am yet to try nasi tumpang despite the fact I bought a few times for my mom back here in KL. I have issues – bila dah senang dapat, tak mau cuba pulak. Gedik huh! Jom try with me.


Ketupat serunding daging/kacang manis (Glutinous rice dumpling wrapped in a woven palm-leaf with either meat floss/sweet bean filling)


This reminded me of Kedah’s ketupat daun palas of which my mom used to do, the only different is that I have yet to see one with meat (chicken/beef) floss. I guess one can eat on the go lah kan, easy peasy.


Piyana Merbau (taste similar to bahulu)

One word = sedap gileeeeeeeeeeeer
A must must must try. Sampai termimpi-mimpi kay.


Acar Pisang Benggala


I tried to find out what is Pisang Benggala but fail so I am doing a direct translation – Bengal Banana (not sure of its origin though). The name of this dish is rather interesting as it is called acar meaning pickled but the dish looks like gulai or masak lemak ie banana cook in coconut milk gravy. Have you tried this? How does it taste like? Sourish? Spicy?


Ketupat Sotong (Squid stuffed with glutinous rice)

This is the most deceiving delicacy as it ketupat stuffed in squid, I would think it is a savoury dish but well well well…. What do you know, it is sweet. More like a dessert instead of a meal/dish. Masa first makan dulu, memang agak mengconfusekan.


Godok Telur

This kuih looks like apam crossed with kuih sarang burung. My only guess is that it is sweet and spongy in texture, I bet I’m gonna like it.

Looks like I need a repeat trip to Kelantan and sample all the food I missed (and repeat second round those that I like). What can I say, Kelantan is truly a food heaven.

So, sapa nak ikut I gi Kelantan!?!



The Ihya’ Ramadan Kelantan 2022 Media Fam Trip is organized by Tourism Malaysia Wilayah Timur in partnership with all its sponsors.

No comments:







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...